Careers at MacLean Engineering
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is a Canadian manufacturer of heavy equipment. We are currently seeking a candidate for the following position to join our team.
Purpose of Role
The Technical Writer is responsible for creating and maintaining technical documentation for all MacLean products including mining vehicles and attachments, municipal vehicles and attachments, and industrial equipment. The Technical Writer must also be able to, when required, help lead and mentor teams of writers to complete large documentation projects. This position requires the following proficiencies:
- Authoring and maintaining Operator and Maintenance Manuals, with support from the Engineering department.
- Authoring and maintaining Maintenance Bulletins from both internal and vendor supplied information.
- Authoring and maintaining Product Service and Product Marketing Bulletins, with support from the Engineering and Marketing departments.
- Authoring and maintaining Publications material listings for internal MacLean Engineering use by various departments including Engineering, Product Management and Field Service.
- Lead, when required, teams of junior writers and related team members, to complete larger projects within tight project deadlines.
- Integrating third party OEM material and cleaning up graphics to insert into Maintenance Bulletins for supporting maintenance personnel in maintaining our equipment.
- Work with all MacLean Engineering Departments in the streamlining and standardization of all our manuals.
- Work with the department manager to develop and maintain meaningful departmental metrics, schedules and workflows
- Champion technical publications process improvement initiatives.
- Participate, as requested, in customer site visits for the purpose of validating vehicle operating and maintenance instructions.
- Help to mentor team members in areas of technical writing, document design, writing standards, content reusability, and document maintenance.
- Contribute to the selection and maintenance of software tools used to create technical manuals.
The successful candidate(s) must be willing to learn, open-minded and flexible, organized and detail oriented, team oriented, disciplined, and must have a positive attitude, along with the following qualifications:
- Diploma or Degree in Engineering Technology, Heavy Duty Mechanics, or a related discipline.
- Technical Writing certificate from a recognized community college is desirable.
- Project Management experience would be an asset.
- Experience in a production and/or heavy mobile equipment environment, preferably mining.
- Experience writing technical documentation, including Operator and Maintenance Manuals, as well as support documentation.
- Documentation-related project management experience
- A clear understanding of design procedures and a strong ability to read and understand engineering drawings, wiring diagrams, and schematics.
- Excellent word processing and computer graphic skills.
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat, Adobe FrameMaker, MadCap Flare, XML or DITA, Corel Draw, MS Office and Paint, and LinkOne would be an asset.
- Excellent proof-reading and editorial skills for reviewing documentation with regard to proper formatting and correct grammar.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with senior management is required.
MacLean Engineering has been a leading innovator of underground mining equipment solutions for over 40 years. As we continue to expand our product range and geographic footprint, we remain privately owned and consistently focused on the Company’s founder’s original engineered design imperatives – safety, productivity and enduring quality. MacLean Engineering has three manufacturing facilities located in Collingwood, Owen Sound, and Barrie. Our workforce is comprised of various skilled trades working together in a safety and quality-oriented environment to produce components and equipment to the underground mining industry, as well as the municipal, environmental, and industrial sectors.
We offer competitive wages and benefits including:
- 3 weeks' vacation annually
- Flexible Group benefits Package (Once probationary period is completed)
- Voluntary DPSP (Deferred Profit-Sharing Plan) and GRRSP (Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan) (Once probationary period is completed)
- Annual Employee Bonus
If you are interested in being a part of an established and growing Canadian Company, we want to hear from you!
If applying via e-mail, please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.
We thank all applicants in advance for their application and interest in MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co Limited. However only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.